Reflexive practise


Rarely have I worked for anyone else and I have always learned a great deal from my learners.  At times I wonder who is educating who!

With your own school you are reliant on the children coming back each week.  You have to work hard all the time to sustain their interest and continually adapt to each requirement.   You can’t treat everyone the same and you have to work with your learners and provide them with stimuli on their terms.  The sophistication of our next generation insists on controlling their own interests and are self-determining.
This results in continual self-reflection and reflexive thought as teachers.
And so while living in a bubble can be detrimental, innovation comes free from constraints and is possible only when in autonomous environments.
Any thoughts?

Comments

  1. Hi Jane, I have really never worked for myself and when I did I had a steady job in addition. I have always felt the pressure for the students to come back each term. A few years ago I was quite obsessed with my numbers and tried differnt methods to keep them. Silly in hindsight, because how can classical ballet be attractive when the hip-hopers can wear what they want, have fun music and (my experience) be great friends with the teacher? I never felt I was reflecting but just trying to find a solution to a problem. I think that I found the problem to be "out of my hands" and continued with teaching adding a few "goodies" to keep the pupils happy. It's interesting with this study what you learn about yourself and reflection has come late in my practice it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, I direct a school, with three different divisions, Adults, Professional, and Recreational. It is very important to observe the young children in the recreational training program to see where they want to go with their training, to continue with dance, or to pursue other interests. And all the time it I am constantly trying to listen to them, understand where they are coming from, and ultimately come up with a learning plan for them that will help them achieve their goals with dance. wherever that may me. I learn from their mistakes (which I look at as my mistakes) because then If I can improve myself as a teacher I am able to teach them more. Having your own school is a lot like having your own private laboratory. You can try new tactics, or approaches, and see the results, as well as apply others approaches and then incorporate it into your own methods, depending on your found results! I am glad to find another studio owner here :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Outside in to Inside Out!