Superficial wrting and fear




“If anyone is unwilling to descend into himself, because this is too painful, he will remain superficial in his writing. . . If I perform to myself, then it’s this that the style expresses. And then the style cannot be my own. If you are unwilling to know what you are, your writing is a form of deceit.”
Ludwig Wittgenstein

The best performances in my opinion are the ones that are truly 'felt' from within.  Where the pure enjoyment of dancing overtakes a need to impress. There are many ways to encourage the inner voice in our students, but the most important is to encourage the love of dance and not set up a fierce competitive environment. 
One challenge when starting Module 1 was the feeling of discomfort in group Skype sessions.  Particularly heightened by not being able to see each others faces or being able to read expressions.
This opens up discussions in how we feel when our senses are challenged or removed, particularly as we rely on them so much as artistes.
I know, as a performer we are quite brilliant in presenting emotions on stage which contradict how we are truly feeling.  Also when teaching, this is part of our job.  It is in Wittgenstein's words 'a form of deceit' but we must always conduct ourselves professionally.
It is challenging to be oneself in Skype sessions, indeed when speaking to strangers.  We will not always present a true picture of ourselves due to uncertainty and feeling defensive at times.  
Our writing being an extension to our voice, there is a place to hide and we do not feel so exposed.
In the months ahead during Module 2, I will endeavour to search for my own style and be willing to let people know who I am.  I will try to be an individual and this will take much continued reflection. 
This is how I will now consider my research.  How to put interviewees at ease so as to obtain authentic evidence to validate the research.  If not, then another method depending on the situation.

Please post if you can identify with any of the above.


Comments

  1. I've thought of that link between performance and teaching too over the last year. It really is a performance and I find myself acting quite frequently! I find that I prefer writing since it allows me to take a moment and phrase my thoughts as I really want them, rather than as how they pop out of my head in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your post Hannah. Did you sort out LinkedIn? Hope to connect with all shortly. Research ideas for me is uncertain as yet as I dart from one idea to another. Reading Narrative methods for the human sciences - really good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflexive practise

Outside in to Inside Out!