If a picture.....



If a Picture Paints a thousand words

You can read a thousand words into one expression, one movement, one dance.
Art - Dance Music Drama can connect so many non-verbally on so many levels.

The Art of self-expression offers an individual the chance to be heard without actually saying anything.
Is this the appeal?? A space we all need to visit?

Cognition = experience + sensory motor capabilities + environment % physiological, psychological, cultural, biological, sociological = embodiment through interaction.  But each picture Paints a thousand words and that’s why I find it easier to talk to you without them as you can say so much more in less time even if it holds a thousand meanings.
Interpretation is based on the researchers constructs and so even quantitative research won’t bring a fixed result of any real importance, will it?  Qualitative research will open possibilities and generate new thought without any firm conclusion.  As we all see the world differently is there really any one answer?

Comments

  1. We're only "not saying anything" with art of various forms if we make communication an exclusively verbal thing, and IMO it isn't. I think for some, public speaking is far less terrifying than art-making, and the reverse for others, and still others inhabit both spaces equally well.

    At least for me, the purpose of research isn't necessarily to generate a firm conclusion. It seems to me that the goal of research, quantitative or qualitative, is to put another stair step on the general knowledge staircases. Sometimes it might be just the step that's needed for people to climb into lots of new and intriguing areas, or sometimes it might bolster a stair that was very small before, or sometimes (most times?) it will link several stairs up so that people can walk more easily. Sometimes it will be enough for a field to move forward in a really obvious way (like a new medicine trial or something) and other times it creeps it forward, but all of those are terribly important, even if only to the researcher or only to a small group of people. Can you elaborate on how you're defining "real importance" and "answers" though? It sounds like you're saying that real importance = fixed result, but am I misunderstanding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah. Thanks for your comments. 'Saying' really meant 'speaking'. Yes 'real importance' in context of quantitative research and 'answer'. If thorough qualitative research our data is construed via our own unique interpretation based on the subjective, then it is only 'real' to us and therefore I question how it may be greatly useful as it will just throw light on another perspective. I struggle with this. Feeling that I can't prove something or make a leap of difference. Through quantitative research there are firm hurdles to continue from but even this is subjective and lines of questioning can manipulate certain answers and so I am still getting my head around research in general as this is all very new to me. Reading has helped me to understand, but I am certainly on an uphill climb. Thanks Hannah for your comments.

      Delete
  2. Hi Hannah. Thanks for your comments. 'Saying' really meant 'speaking'. Yes 'real importance' in context of quantitative research and 'answer'. If thorough qualitative research our data is construed via our own unique interpretation based on the subjective, then it is only 'real' to us and therefore I question how it may be greatly useful as it will just throw light on another perspective. I struggle with this. Feeling that I can't prove something or make a leap of difference. Through quantitative research there are firm hurdles to continue from but even this is subjective and lines of questioning can manipulate certain answers and so I am still getting my head around research in general as this is all very new to me. Reading has helped me to understand, but I am certainly on an uphill climb. Thanks Hannah for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflexive practise

Outside in to Inside Out!