UNIFORM

I am interested in how you all feel about Uniform?  Do you insist on the set ISTD/RAD regulation uniform for classes?

Are all children comfortable wearing it?

My consideration is for the child who may be 'self-conscious' already.  Insisting on tight fitting leotards and soft flowing skirts, can this be off - putting for some children wanting desperately to dance or perhaps feeling uncomfortable with their bodies?  One little girl said to me she "I don't like Ballet, I don't want to be a 'fairy"!  I think it's a shame that some little girls see Ballet only in this way partly by the image a uniform might project.
How does uniform impact upon the child.  Does the 'image' decide which genre they want to learn?  If we dressed 'Ballet' up in Baseball Hats and t-shirts would more children sign up?  Is Hip-Hop more attractive because you can wear jogging pants?
Are we able to be flexible on this?  Do we need to rethink the image that a uniform portrays to make dance more inclusive? 
Does one size fit all?
On a practical level we need to be able to see the children's physiques to correct posture and technique.
Do adolescent girls always feel comfortable in all-in-one's? 
Does your school offer older children more 'choice' as to what to wear?
Or, do you  feel that uniform is necessary to establish your schools 'image', order or discipline?

I am keen to know what your views on this, please?
Thanks   Jane 
  


Comments

  1. Oooh, what an interesting question. Personally, for modern/contemporary classes I don't care nearly as much what they wear, as long as I can see what they're doing. For beginning ballet classes, it's very important to me for them to wear something form-fitting, especially since usually that's younger girls who don't mind a leotard quite as much as self-conscious teens and adults. At that level, their alignment is SO important and honestly it's usually bad. ;) Which is fine; it's why they're beginners! But I do need to be able to see so I can correct.

    With teens though... yeah, I remember those years, and I flat-out refuse to attend a class now where I have to wear a leo and tights, because I always hated them. I suppose an easy compromise would be something like workout clothes with yoga pants and a tight tank top. But as you say, uniforms do play a role in the image of the school too, especially for ballet. A tricky puzzle... I'll have to chew on that a little now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane, thats really an interesting topic. There are so many ways and so many levels you can look at it! Here in Switzerland, uniforms are not so common (mostly ballet schools that follow RAD syllabus are using them). I teach ballet, as a supportive technique for contemporary dancers. Personally I agree with Hannah, that in order to give constructive feedback and corrections, you need to see, their bodies. But I don't mind, if its leggings with a tight fitting tank top or a proper ballet leotard. If I had a student, that really feels uncomfortable wearing tight clothes, I guess I would let her/him wear baggier clothes, as I think that dance should make you feel more connected to your own body, building a positive relationship and so it would be more important to me, that the student feels comfortable and can concentrate on the dancing, rather than being self conscious all the time.
    But I find the question also very interesting, from a gender point of view. (I will definatly try to find some literature concerning this topic). I wonder if there would be more boys open to try out ballet, if it wasn't all leotards and tights. And I also wonder, with what kind of image of woman, little girls grow up, in the world of ballet. How a woman is seen in ballet (or a man). How can you make them identify with more than just fairies and princesses? And if by changing the clothes as you say, it would change our perception of ballet and maybe even the way ballet is choreographed on stage? There are so many more questions you can dig into..... Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I had a boy who didn't dare to participate. When he entered the room, there were only girls, all wearing pink, all wearing skirts. He cried and wanted to leave. I talked to this dad. He told me that the boy was so excited for his first dance class but he wasn't expecting all those girls who really look like princesses. Today, I am still trying to integrate him and I hope that he won't give up. I am convinced that if the girls would wear a t-shirt and leggings, he would feel a lot more comfortable...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflexive practise

Outside in to Inside Out!